As we move into Autumn and look to change our diet to fit the season, cumin seeds or “jeera” as it is called in Hindi, is a great aromatic spice to add to your diet. A common ingredient in Indian cooking, I often add it to dishes like aloo gobi, basmati rice and my favorite chutneys for its nutritional value and great flavor.
Top 10 Ayurvedic Reasons to Add Cumin Seeds to Your Diet:
1. Acts as a blood purifier
2. Helps to detoxify the liver
3. Aids in cases of chronic malabsorption
4. Aids in reducing menstrual cramps
5. Aids in bloating, constipation, gas
6. A recent study found that black cumin seeds have cancer fighting properties
7. Said to boost memory, improve concentration
8. Great source of iron
9. With its high amount of melatonin, these little seeds will help you with those bouts of insomnia
10. Said to balance vata and kapha doshas.
Go on, get your cumin on!