In this third post in the series on the right asanas for the various doshic types, we will be discussing Asanas for Kapha doshic types. As mentioned in our last post, it is important to remember the particularities of an individual’s unique body and customize the practice accordingly.
The themes for Kapha types with their yoga practice should center around words like: Stimulating, moving, warming, lightening, energizing, releasing.
Asanas to focus on include:
- Lion Pose or sitting poses with pranayama
- Sun salutation, strong vinyasas
- Virabhadrasana, Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana (extended hand to big toe), Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (standing split), Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon)
- Downward Dog (Adho Mukha Svasana), Upward Dog (Urdhva Mukha Svasana).
- Full inverted balancing poses like handstand (Adho Mukha Vrksasana), Pinca Mayurasana (Peackock Feather Pose)…love that last one!!
- Headstand and shoulder stand with variations.
- Plow pose, all backbends like Upward Bow Pose, Camel Pose (Ustrasana), and Locust Pose, Jathara Parivartanasana (Alligator Twist) or Marichi’s Pose followed by a short Savasana.
NOTE: Be sure to spend quality time in Savasana…it’s as important, if not more important than all the other asanas you will practice.