In this third post in the series on the right asanas for the various doshic types, we will be discussing Asanas for Kapha doshic types. As mentioned in our last post, it is important to remember the particularities of an individual’s unique body and customize the practice accordingly.
The themes for Kapha types with their yoga practice should center around words like: Stimulating, moving, warming, lightening, energizing, releasing.
Asanas to focus on include:
- Lion Pose or sitting poses with pranayama
- Sun salutation, strong vinyasas
- Virabhadrasana, Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana (extended hand to big toe), Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (standing split), Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon)
- Downward Dog (Adho Mukha Svasana), Upward Dog (Urdhva Mukha Svasana).
- Full inverted balancing poses like handstand (Adho Mukha Vrksasana), Pinca Mayurasana (Peackock Feather Pose)…love that last one!!
- Headstand and shoulder stand with variations.
- Plow pose, all backbends like Upward Bow Pose, Camel Pose (Ustrasana), and Locust Pose, Jathara Parivartanasana (Alligator Twist) or Marichi’s Pose followed by a short Savasana.
NOTE: Be sure to spend quality time in Savasana…it’s as important, if not more important than all the other asanas you will practice.
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the