As we gear up for summer, try a few of these ayurvedic tips to stay cool.
- Keep yourself hydrated this summer. Stay away from chilled and carbonated beverages, as they are known to disrupt the digestive fire. Instead, opt for fresh fruit juices, blended and stored at room temperature. (ie, coconut water, watermelon juice, hibiscus tea with lime, grape juice, lassi, bel ka sharbat and aam panna are refreshing and healthy choices in summer). Be sure and also drink a lot of water to replenish your body.
- Focus on maintaining a cooling Ayurvedic diet this summer. Be sure and include a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Opt for fruits like: melons, pears, cherries, mangoes and grapes. On the veggie side, grab that helping of asparagus, broccoli, kale and zucchini, as these all have cooling effects. Use arugula, radicchio and cucumbers in your salad. Avoid spicy and sour foods in the summer. Focus on dinner being the lightest meal of the day.
- Add cooling spices like: mint, fennel, anise and cardamom to your dishes. Avoid food that produce heat, i.e., tomatoes, hot peppers, radishes, onions, garlic and spinach.
- Focus on cooling exercises. Swimming is a wonderful option to consider during the summer months. Not only is it cooling and soothing for the body, but it also helps in toning and strengthening body muscles, without the high impact. Go for that morning walk in the park, or that evening stroll to relax both the body and the mind.
- Focus on your breath. Sheetali Pranayama is recommended for instilling coolness, brightness and peacefulness in the body and mind.
- Work on maintaining that “Cooling” lifestyle. Stress and overwork aggravate the overheating effects of summer. Working on deadline-oriented activities, lack of time for oneself all seem more pronounced during the heat of summer. Plan out your work week, invest in some time management tips to complete your tasks on time, so that you focus on having work-life balance…with nature’s light shining longer throughout the summer months, be sure and get out there and enjoy those relaxing evenings.
- Get in that daily meditation. Devote some time to meditate and relax your mind at the beginning and end of each day, so that you can keep stress at bay.
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the