Having a rough time falling asleep as we move into the winter season?
Try this soothing recipe for Golden Milk and sleep soundly throughout the night. Turmeric may not be the first thing you think about to help you sleep, but this is a deliciously soothing remedy that supports healthy digestion, acts as a strong anti-inflammatory, supports immune function, along with a healthy liver. Often used to relieve swelling and pain, turmeric is considered a “natural aspirin” in Ayurvedic medicine. This recipe is a great way to get the benefits of turmeric, while also aiding in relaxation so you can get a good night’s sleep.
Curcumin, the compound in turmeric that gives it its yellow color is responsible for the amazing health benefits. Curcumin is one of the most potent anti-inflammatories, so if you’re struggling with an inflammatory disorder, this recipe is definitely worth trying!
Soothing Golden Milk (Turmeric Tea) Recipe
- ½ tsp of organic turmeric powder
- 1 tsp organic ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup of organic whole milk (feel free to substitute with almond milk if you are dairy-free)
- A healthy pinch of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom powder*
- A sprinkling of saffron
- Raw honey to taste
Mix all the ingredients together over medium heat except the honey. Once heated, (but not boiling), add a bit of honey and drink as soon as it is cool enough.
- Looking to spice things up? Add a few peppercorns to the above recipe, as peppercorns are said to help improve absorption of turmeric by the body.
Note: Since this tea contains Turmeric, consult with a doctor before consuming if you are pregnant, nursing or have a medical condition.