One Pomegranate to Cure One Hundred Ailments: The Power of the Pomegranate
As we head into late summer, we're heading into prime pomegranate season. A great time to enjoy this superfood that packs plenty of vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber and potassium. In Ayurveda, there is an old adage,
As we head into late summer, we’re heading into prime pomegranate season. A great time to enjoy this superfood that packs plenty of vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber and potassium.
In Ayurveda, there is an old adage, “ek anar, saw bimar” which translates to mean “one pomegranate to cure one hundred ailments.” I debated whether or not to list out my top 100, but then decided to just share several of key note:
– The juice of a pomegranate is said to aid in the digestion process.
– Something my mom used to tell me as a kid so that I’d eat it, its a great blood purifier.
– It is tridoshic (balancing all three humors of body – vata, pitta and kapha).
– Studies have shown that consuming pomegranate juice can help control the risk of breast cancer.
– Drinking pomegranate juice has been shown to slow down and prevent the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
– Good for heart health.
– Prevents cartilage deterioration to keep one from developing osteoarthritis.
– Good for oral health and bad breath. Its astringent quality is said to help with bleeding gums.
– Considered beneficial in fighting the aging process, as it has a high antioxidant content.
Note: If you are prone to constipation, you may want to limit your consumption. A good alternative to try would be the amla berry, (available in caplets).