According to Ayurvedic philosophy, Ojas, (pronounced oh-jus), is the essential energy of the body, the “fluid of life”. Ojas is considered the sap of one’s life energy which, when running full steam is equated with immunity and, when in short supply, results in weakness and disease.
Ojas is considered responsible for many of the great things we experience, i.e., love, our higher states of consciousness, positive outlook, joy, better immunity, longevity, intelligence, creativity, bliss. When an individual’s inner consciousness awakens spontaneously, ojas increases. In a nutshell, ojas is the sap of the entire physiology and sustains the life of an individual.
Ojas is said to connect the mind to the body and consciousness, it is a biochemical substance that nourishes all body tissues and has a direct influence on the nature and quality of our physical, mental and emotional life. The primary location for ojas is the heart, from here it circulates out through the entire body. Ojas is collected from the body’s seven tissues, (blood, muscle, fat, plasma, bone, bone marrow, and reproductive tissue) through the influence of enzymes (Agnis). This can be compared to how a bee collects honey from the essence of many flowers, not just one.
As we go into the new year, practice the below techniques to help build strong Ojas:
- Eat seasonally, in accordance with nature.
- Sip hot water throughout the day. Sipping hot water consistently throughout the day will also clear your channels of ama, as ojas needs space to connect and congeal the unified gel of consciousness into the physical body.
- Use immune building herbs like ashwagandha or chavanprash after a cleanse, in the change of seasons, or when you’re fighting something. (Be sure to consult with a reputable ayurvedic specialist before doing so).
- Meditate regularly. Allowing time and space for the digestion of mental impressions clears the confusion and mental ama in the mano maya kosha (mind body).
- Self-massage with warm oil (sesame, sunflower, or almond) before showering to aid in creating connectivity between your mind, your skin and your hands. Oil massage soothes and nurtures your nerves, which in turn, enables the feeling sensation of ojas to spread throughout you.
- Create space for fun and down time. The feeling of joy, laughter and relaxed bliss boosts ojas.
Stay happy, stay healthy!
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the