As nature changes with the change of seasons, we too, are in a constant state of renewal. Spring always gets me excited, as it’s a time to lighten up on all the layers of clothing we’ve been wearing over the past few months, it’s a time to eat lighter, exercise more, get out and enjoy our surroundings. It’s a time to get out of the routine we’ve been living during the winter season, a time to change things up!
- As the weather begins to warm up, start to reduce the amount of heavy, fat-rich foods in your diet. Eat less meat, seafood, poultry, dairy products. Instead, focus on increasing your intake of bitter greens and spices to help invigorate your liver and strengthen your digestion. Bitter herbs support detoxification by helping the liver process incoming nutrients and filter impurities from circulation. Some foods and spices to include: arugula, radishes, grapefruit, turmeric, dandelion, milk thistle, and neem.
- Drink more fluids. One of my favorite beverages this time of year that stimulates toxin release and boosts metabolism is hot water with a pinch of cayenne, ¼ lemon, 1 tsp honey.
- Take a hot bath, with Epsom salt and baking soda to ensure a restful night’s sleep.
- Take time to smell the roses. Take a few minutes in the morning to just breathe deeply, cleanse your lungs and calm the nervous system. Two-to-one breathing is recommended, where each of your exhalations is twice as long as every inhalation. This exercise is also a great practice to do before meditation.
- Get to that yoga class. Spring is Kapha season, which means your body is strong and ready for you to turn up your workout. Go for that bike ride, take a walk, get outdoors.
- Spring is a great time to plant new seeds – start new projects, take classes, travel.
- And last but not least, get going on that spring cleaning! Discard things that are no longer serving you.
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the