Eleven Ways Amla Protects the Body
Amla, or Indian gooseberries as they are known in English, have long been associated with Ayurveda. This wonder fruit is known to be a rich source of Vitamin C. So much so, that one small
Amla, or Indian gooseberries as they are known in English, have long been associated with Ayurveda. This wonder fruit is known to be a rich source of Vitamin C. So much so, that one small amla has as much Vitamin C as 2 medium oranges. Rich in antioxidants, filled with compounds like polyphenols, iron, zinc and vitamins like carotenes and vitamin B complex, amla is frequently used to protect the immune system. Research has shown that it has a high content of tannins, which when combined with polyphenols gives the fruit a unique free radical scavenging property.
Eleven ways amla protects the body:
1) Great for the heart. Amla is known to reduce cholesterol, and keep heart disease in check. Rich in fiber and iron, it is very effective in controlling the oxidation of LDL (Low density lipoprotein). Another benefit of amla is that it prevents arthrosclerosis (accumulation of plaque in the arteries).
2) Controls diabetes and its complications. Research studies have shown that this polyphenol- rich fruit actually has properties that can protect the body from the oxidative properties of high blood sugar. The same compound is also effective in preventing the insulin resistance caused due to a high fructose diet.
3) Slows down aging. The extract of amla is rich in Vitamin A. This vitamin is essential in collagen production, a compound that keeps the skin looking young and elastic. When consumed on an empty stomach, alma has properties that slow down the degradation of collagen and helps the body produce more.
4) Protects you from cancer. Packed with antioxidant properties, amla has the potential to keep cancer at bay. Research into this particular property of the fruit, has found that it had the potential to prevent cancer by helping the body fight the harmful effects of chemicals that are carcinogenic. It also helps to inhibit the further growth of cancer affected cells. Apart from this, amla extract can reduce the harmful effects of radiation and chemotherapy without reducing their beneficial effects as an anti cancer treatment.
5) Gastric problems. The fiber, polyphenol and water content of amla combined with its anti-inflammatory properties make it a great antidote for an upset stomach. Having one teaspoon of amla juice on an empty stomach can take care of acidity and resolve a stomach upset. Amla juice is effective in treating peptic ulcers and acidity. If you have acidity problems, you can take amla juice with pure ghee everyday twice a day.
6) Soothes the throat. Amla juice mixed with some ginger provides instant relief from a sore throat and cough.
7) Protects your liver. Studies have proved that amla has properties that protect the liver from oxidative damage caused by chemicals or alcohol.
8) Burns Fat. Amla juice can help to cure obesity by increasing protein levels which in turn helps in reducing unwanted fat.
9) Blood Purifier. Amla juice acts as a blood purifier by flushing out toxins from the body. Regular intake of this juice purifies your blood as well as helps increase hemoglobin and red blood cell counts.
10) Eye Health. Regular intake of amla juice helps in improving eyesight and nearsightedness as well as controls the onset of cataracts. It also minimizes intraocular tension. It counters problems like reddening, itching and watering of eyes.
11) Soothes Inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties in amla juice help in reducing the swelling in the joints caused by arthritis. By reducing inflammation, it also protects and eases the tissues of the digestive tract.
For some great amla juice recipes, click here