Dry Skin Brushing massage, (Garshana in Ayurveda), assists in mobilizing and removing excess kapha from the system. Ideal for those of the kapha constitution, it is good for people of other doshas, as well. Traditionally done using dry, raw silk gloves, it may also be performed using a dry bath brush or a loofah.
Benefits of adding this type of 5 minute simple self massage to your daily routine:
- The skin is the main eliminative organ of the body. Doing Garshana massage exfoliates dead cells.
- With this exfoliation comes a clearer, healthier complexion.
- Skin will look younger and more vibrant.
- Garshana massage aids in balancing hormones.
- Increased circulation and facilitation of the body processing fat and cellulite.
- Improved lymphatic circulation and drainage.
How to Perform Dry Skin Brushing:
- Dry Skin Brushing is done on a dry body before showering. (Best time to do this is in the am).
- Using either a bath brush, raw silk gloves, or a loofah, begin at the soles of your feet with quick back and forth movements. (At first, use a light pressure. As your skin becomes familiar with the massage, you may increase your pressure).
- Make circular movements on your joints and up & down movements on your long bones.
- Continue with these strokes up your leg. Pay particular attention to areas that have extra fat or cellulite.
- Do your abdomen with horizontal and diagonal strokes.
- Be gentle over your chest.
- Continue with your hands, forearms, and upper arms.
- Massage your entire body except face, and heart.
- If you use a natural bristle bath brush, purchase one with a long handle which will make it easy for you to dry brush your back. Keep this brush just for your dry massage – do not use it in the bath.
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the