Detox the Gentle Way with this Green Mung Soup Recipe
Looking at ways to start the new year out right?!? Try this great recipe for Green mung bean soup. A staple in Indian households for centuries, this tasty soup is considered by many to be a
Looking at ways to start the new year out right?!?
Try this great recipe for Green mung bean soup. A staple in Indian households for centuries, this tasty soup is considered by many to be a healing medicine.
Known for its nourishing and detoxifying effects, Green Mung detox soup helps to balance all 3 doshas. It helps clear away Ama (toxicity) that gets lodged in the body over time due to poor diet, lack of exercise and living a sedentary lifestyle. This soup is ideal for anyone trying to shed a few pounds or those just looking for a way to do a gentle cleanse.
Green Mung Detox Soup Recipe
1 cup whole green mung beans (be sure and soak for at least 5 hours)
3 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp Ghee
11/2 tsp ginger – chopped
1/2 tsp garlic – chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 small pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 tsp Himalayan Pink Rock Salt or to taste
- Soak the mung beans overnight in water.
- Finely chop ginger and garlic.
- Drain the mung beans, rinse them and put them in pot with 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Add salt and turmeric and bring to a boil.
- Cook Mung beans fully stirring occasionally. (Note: They are not fully cooked until they are breaking apart. Will take approx. 45 min unless you use a pressure cooker, in which case it will only take about 20 minutes)
- Heat ghee in a separate pan. Add hing, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Wait until you hear the cumin seeds pop. Then add garlic and ginger and let simmer for a few minutes until garlic becomes golden brown.
- Add ghee mixture to cooked mung beans and stir.
- You can add greens like kale or spinach to this for some added taste and texture.