Looking at ways to start the new year out right?!?
Try this great recipe for Green mung bean soup. A staple in Indian households for centuries, this tasty soup is considered by many to be a healing medicine.
Known for its nourishing and detoxifying effects, Green Mung detox soup helps to balance all 3 doshas. It helps clear away Ama (toxicity) that gets lodged in the body over time due to poor diet, lack of exercise and living a sedentary lifestyle. This soup is ideal for anyone trying to shed a few pounds or those just looking for a way to do a gentle cleanse.
Green Mung Detox Soup Recipe
- 1 cup whole green mung beans (be sure and soak for at least 5 hours)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 11/2 tsp ginger – chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic – chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 small pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Rock Salt or to taste
- Soak the mung beans overnight in water.
- Finely chop ginger and garlic.
- Drain the mung beans, rinse them and put them in pot with 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Add salt and turmeric and bring to a boil.
- Cook Mung beans fully stirring occasionally. (Note: They are not fully cooked until they are breaking apart. Will take approx. 45 min unless you use a pressure cooker, in which case it will only take about 20 minutes)
- Heat ghee in a separate pan. Add hing, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Wait until you hear the cumin seeds pop. Then add garlic and ginger and let simmer for a few minutes until garlic becomes golden brown.
- Add ghee mixture to cooked mung beans and stir.
- You can add greens like kale or spinach to this for some added taste and texture.
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the