It’s New Year’s Eve and folks are looking to celebrate the close of the year with family and friends. These festivities often include plenty of champagne and wine. Now I’m not going to sit here and tell you not to drink, as that is your prerogative. However, what I would like to share with you are a few Ayurvedic cures to treat that holiday hangover:
- Drink plenty of fluids, preferably water or coconut juice (which works well with dehydration and increasing electrolytes, which diminish after alcohol consumption).
- To detox, take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice (or gel), 3X/daily
- 1 glass of fresh OJ, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and a pinch of cumin powder.
- If you feel sleepy and sluggish, have a headache or upset stomach, try having a lassi. Mix 1 cup of plain yogurt with 1 cup water and a pinch of cumin powder. Drink 3-4X/day. This prevents dehydration, relieves nausea and reduces the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Eat a fresh fruit salad, be sure to include plenty of apples and bananas, as they work particularly well as effective hangover cures. Apples aid in relieving the headache that often times accompany a hangover, while bananas help in restoring essential minerals like potassium, which the body loses after alcohol consumption.
- Ginger is great at treating the nausea that usually accompanies a hangover. Ginger aids in the digestion of alcohol, thus soothing the stomach. Chew 2-3 small pieces of ginger or drink a cup of ginger tea.
Parting words: it’s all about moderation.
Happy New Year!