The annual celebration, Earth Day is drawing near. Held on April 22nd in the United States, Earth Day honors the achievements of the environmental movement and raises awareness of the need to protect Earth’s natural resources for future generations. Across the globe, the event is held on either April 22 or the day the spring equinox occurs throughout the rest of the world. Having launched in 1970, the initial Earth Day capitalized on the emerging consciousness of the time, channeling the energy of the anti-war protest movement and putting environmental concerns front and center. Today, Earth Day brings together citizens and activists from around the world, in 180 countries, to raise awareness and take action regarding such environmental concerns as global warming and renewable energy.
Some factoids* for why you should consider going green, joining in on the planned festivities:
- Only 1% of the world’s water supply is usable; 97% is in the ocean, 2% is frozen
- More than 100 billion pieces of junk mail are delivered in the United States each year.
- It only takes about 6 weeks total to manufacture, fill, sell, recycle, and then remanufacture an aluminum beverage can.
- Half the world’s tropical and temperate forests are now gone.
- More than 2 million people globally die prematurely every year due to outdoor and indoor air pollution.
- Every year in the U.S. nearly 200 billion beverage containers are sold, two-thirds of which are landfilled, incinerated or littered.
- Recycling, reuse and remanufacturing account for 3.1 million jobs in the U.S.
- Recycling saves 3 to 5 times the energy that waste incinerator power plants generate.
*Factoids courtesy of http://www.ecocycle.org/
Ready to join the movement, find out how here
Support the Monkey
If you do any shopping at Amazon, please use the Amazon link below to help support Levitating Monkey. Commissions from your purchases are crucial for us to continue to provide you with the content you love.
Supporting the Monkey costs you nothing – but it is dependent on using our Amazon links. To make it easy, we’e recommended some of our favorite Ayurvedic products in our articles and interviews. Check them out and you’ll help keep the lights on here at Levitating Monkey.
Click here to go directly to the